NAMED ORGANIC REACTIONS
* The Wurtz-Fittig reaction is the modification of Wurtz reaction. It involves the coupling of an aryl halide with an alkyl halide molecule in presence of sodium metal to furnish alkylated aromatic hydrocarbons.
|Ar-X + 2Na + X-R||----------------->||Ar-R + 2NaX|
Where Ar = Aryl group, R = alkyl group, X = halogen
* The more reactive alkyl halide will form the organosodium initially, which acts as a nucleophile and attacks the aryl halide.
* Usually the yields are very high.
* Refer Wurtz reaction for the reaction conditions and the detailed mechanism.
1) Toluene can be prepared by Wurtz-Fittig method as follows: