NAMED ORGANIC REACTIONS
* In Fittig reaction, two aryl halides are coupled in presence of sodium metal in dry ether or tetrahydrofuran to furnish biaryls.
|Ar-X + 2Na + X-Ar||----------------->||Ar-Ar + 2NaX|
Where Ar = aryl group, X = halogen
* The yields will be improved by using ultrasound, especially in two-phase reactions.
* A modification of reaction which involves, an alkyl halide and an aryl halide is called Wurtz-Fittig reaction.
* Refer Wurtz reaction for the reaction conditions and the detailed mechanism.
1) Biphenyl can be prepared by Fittig method as follows: